Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thing 10

We were all set to head to the Science Center this morning....a fun activity by all accounts.  One that was sorely needed since apparently all we ever do is "visit the house and run errands".  Whoa....back up the bus!

In an attempt to make things more palatable, I called Nelson's co-worker's wife.  We hadn't yet met, but from what he told me I knew we'd get along (plus she stays home with her two kids).  I asked if she's like to meet up with the kids.  She was game and suggested the Science Center.

Today was the day. Excited kids, well rested Mom, and we were good to go.  Except for the car.  It began making this horrible noise.  I put it in park and walked around the vehicle to see if I ran over anything, or if something was hanging off the undercarriage to cause such a racket.  The one thing I noticed was a half-flat tire.  Lovely.  Those two excited kids I mentioned?  Now they weren't so excited.  They understood completely that we shouldn't be driving 45 minutes on the highway, only to chance something worse happening.

Our day's drive took us to the local dealer instead.  Luckily they could fit us in and fix it.  Not so luckily, it wasn't cheap.  (Is a trip to the dealer EVER?)

All this is to say that when I called my new friend to tell her the bad news, she was disappointed, but offered to have us over for dinner instead, so we could still meet and talk.  How cool is that?  I'm telling ya- people like that are instantly high on my list!  Another confirmation that God's got us covered here.

Thing 10 I love?  That one person was willing to be hospitable on the fly.  My day easily could have been soured, but by one small act, she turned it around for us.  You never know how your actions will affect someone else.  Keep that in mind next time you do something kind.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for a new friend with flexibility and kindness! I hope the dinner went wonderfully. I AM sorry about the car, though.

    ReplyDelete