Friday, August 26, 2011

Say what?!

I'm a California girl.  That's where I spent the first 24 years of my life.  We lived with earthquakes.

Then I moved to Maine.  Snowstorms became a usual occurrence, and I quite enjoyed them.  A pot of soup on the stove and a good book with which to curl up, and I was set.

But hurricanes?  HELLO- I don't know a thing about dealing with those!
Here we are, the first week in our house and in between unpacking boxes, I'm supposed to think about getting batteries (because of course, any I may have, are in a box somewhere!) and gallons of water and plenty of food.  WHAT?!

This is me yesterday- off to Walmart to be prudent as my smart hubby suggested.  Thought I was ahead of the game, but apparently hundreds of locals had the same idea.  Walmart was cleared out of D batteries.  The kids and I weren't leaving the store until we'd covered every corner, making sure every display of batteries was checked.  Sure enough, in the toy aisle, there were a few packs of D's left- BINGO.  Mills family score: 1

Today, I had to return some things to Lowes, and figured we try to get more batteries (I hear my father's voice in my head telling me to have plenty on hand).  Surprise!  They were all sold out of batteries and flashlights.  You wouldn't believe the number of people buying generators.....Mills family score: 0

We've got an ample stash of candles, a battery operated radio (boom box anyone?) and board games to combat the boredom that will arise should we lose power.  This is a head's up that I might be off the grid for a few days....

The kids are well prepared, and we're trying to keep them calm in what could otherwise be a very frightening scenario.  It's better to plan for the worst, we keep telling them. That doesn't mean it will happen.  There's lots of prayer happening here too; praying for those getting hit first, and prayer for us as we try to deal with a unique "adventure".  The kids are supposed to start school on Monday, but that may not happen given the extenuating circumstances.  That's one way to avoid making those dreaded school lunches!

I love having visitors.  But I don't know any Irene and she has plans to drop in soon.....

Keep praying.  Everyone along the east coast could sure use it right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment