Tuesday, July 5, 2011

History class

I'll be the first to admit that I never paid much attention in History class (shhh don't tell).

Most of my current history lessons come from historical fiction books or my personal encyclopedia, (AKA Nelson).  Pretty sad, I know.  Time to make up for all that lack of learning.

New Jersey is chock full of Revolutionary War History.  Forget textbooks and writing essays. We're on the fast track to learn history in the BEST way possible- seeing it firsthand.  Today we visited Washington's Headquarters, a mere stone's throw from here.  With the 4th of July so fresh in our minds, it was the icing on the cake, if you will, of our weekend celebrations.  The more we learned about these places, the more it came alive, and the more it affected me.





There's something that stirs at the heart of me, lost amid the artifacts and details from this era.  Picturing the men- starving, freezing and often shoeless, I can't help but feel overwhelmed.  Many of these young soldiers were untrained for war, but were willing to sacrifice their lives for the greater cause of independence.  This was no picnic for them, and yet, they served in conditions that were deplorable.  Selfless, God-fearing men put everything on the line for freedom.  It took years of battling, but eventually we won. Our spirited men and the people behind them, were declared a sovereign nation by the King of England.

That fierce spirit of independence still rings true today.  It's a part of our American DNA.  Our forefathers fought to the death for it, and soldiers today, still carry that same determination to see freedom win.  Our birth as a nation is unique, unlike any in history.  Taxation without representation was unacceptable, and if the King didn't succumb to our demands, we'd revolt.  You know how that turned out!

This is precisely why I don't take freedom lightly.  People are flippant about it today.  They assume the freedom we have, is always going to be there.  That's no guarantee- EVER.  Our freedom can be taken in the same manner it was given.  Freedom comes at a cost.  This nation's freedom was bought with blood, no one can claim otherwise.  To think we could get by with any less today, over 200 years later, is foolish.

My life, and the freedom I have today is not of my own doing.  Back in 1776, men stood up and took arms; knowing their lives would be given, but that the freedom they so desperately desired, was worth more.  Men, who didn't know me and the life I would be leading today, gave their life in sacrifice.  All the men who came after them, fighting in wars to preserve our freedom, did the same.  Unknown me, loved by a soldier.

Now that's AMERICAN.

There are two people who lay down their life for you:  Jesus Christ and an American soldier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nUDFlzK-f0

1 comment:

  1. I will bring a book for you to read: A Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier.

    ReplyDelete