Friday, July 29, 2011

Ahhh....yes.

You knew this post was coming sooner or later- admit it.

What's the one thing every out of state (or out of country) move involves?  Anyone?  Anyone?

A trip to the DMV of course!  And today our number was up.  Nelson had been told by others to expect the process to take 5-6 hours.  Yep- you read that right- 5-6 HOURS.  Granted, we had to attain our licenses,register the vehicles, take a written test, and get the cars inspected.

I'm a big believer in planning ahead.  My plan of attack was to get there well before they opened so we could cruise right in and be ahead of the rush.  We showed up at 7am and were the first in line.  (Pat on the back for that move.)  An hour later we were greeted by the "boss" who was quite chipper, and requested us to "greet his employees in a friendly manner", because-  "if you had to see all these people in one day, you'd want people to be nice to you."  I swear on my Bible- that's what he said out loud.  Only  in New Jersey.

 So would it surprise you, that in stereotypical DMV fashion, not a single employee was friendly, or helpful?  In fact, quite the opposite.  But then, you're not surprised.  Please say you aren't.

It's a good thing I'm reserving judgment of New Jerseyans here.  The saving grace, is that I'm pretty sure all DMV experiences are the same everywhere in this nation.

7 hours in total spent in that building.  7 hours I won't get back.

Now it's time for a stiff drink......

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps Nelson will share his personal experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I can't wait to hear that! As one who spent his first 21 in NJ, I can recall the driver's test, and the lines to get inspected. The test included parallel parking and making 'K-turns.'

    I was only 17, and I passed the first time.

    I also remember my Dad letting me sit on his lap and steer the big old car we had, and then eventually letting me start it up in the driveway and "practice."

    Gotta learn somehow. It wasn't until my second year in college that Dad bought a telephone pole for me, to replace the one I took out in New Brunswick. I think back on that now, and realize just how understanding and gentle a man he was.

    I wonder if that's how I was when Lori had her first vehicle 'encounter' in the Troy HS parking lot?

    If I was, I must have counted to 15 thousand first.

    ReplyDelete