Monday, January 30, 2012

I'm a uniter not a divider

There's one food that is loved by many, hated by few.  Every good cook has one star recipe in his or her arsenal, and it warms the soul when eaten.

It comes spicy, or sweet.
It can be full of meat, or vegetarian.
It can have lots of beans, or none at all.
It can simmer for hours, or be thrown together in minutes.
It can be found canned on a shelf, or homemade.

Chili- the great unifier of foods.  It disregards age, color, political view, religion, and any other issue that keeps people apart. Coming together around a pot of chili makes people forget their differences for awhile.

There were many neighbors we'd had yet to meet.  I wanted to change that.  One's neighborhood is a microcosm of the larger world.  If we can't know each other here, how can we expect to know what's taking place out there?  My kids play and run around the block.  It's up to me as a mother to know who is surrounding my children, especially if anything should happen to them.  Plus, it allows me to put my finger on the pulse of the neighborhood and see who might be in need of help, friendship or grace.

Twenty two people showed up.  Only a few gave their regrets, and there were a handful that never responded at all.  The biggest surprise?  To hear some folks talk about how they'd never met neighbors that were present- and they themselves have lived here for over 14 years!   My heart was saddened to hear that we can get so preoccupied with living in our bubble that we don't even reach out to our immediate neighbors- for years.  I get that some people keep to themselves, I really do.  But that's no excuse for not introducing yourself to the folks on the street.  We have a duty to know who lives besides us, and around us.  My expectation is not that we become the best of friends, but that we would greet each other, and know enough about what's going on that we can offer a hand when the time comes.

There's something very personal about letting people into your home.  We're comfortable doing it.  In fact, we love doing it.  Sharing our home, and food with others is central to expressing love for us.  The seller of this house had lived here for over thirty years.  Yet many of my immediate neighbors had never set foot in this house.  WHAT?  Am I the only one that finds that strange?

The chili cook-off was designed to bring us all together to socialize and enjoy the good food.  We had seven chilis and each one was completely different- just like us humans.  It was an easy going evening and all agreed that it was a wonderful idea.  Some even wondered why this hadn't taken place before (the gathering of neighbors).

I have to share with you my favorite part of the evening.  If you could see me writing this you'd see me getting choked up recalling the memory.  Our next door neighbors are an elderly couple with a live- in nurse.  The Mrs. has alzheimers and her husband has dementia.  Their son, who was raised in their house, lives close by and checks on them daily.  He brought his parent to the party,  along with the nurse, saying it would be good for them to get out.  Can I tell you how pleased everyone was to see them?  My heart leapt for joy, knowing this outing was monumental for them.  THAT is exactly why I did this, to make a difference in this place.

"Love your neighbor as yourself"  Matthew 22:39  Let us go forth in love...

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, Lori, it is a beautiful thing to break bread with neighbors. We have loved having our neighbors here. We're not all alike or have the same life circumstances, but being kind to each other and building relationships pays off such dividends. We don't have to spend all of our time with just the people we're most comfortable with! You are such a great example to me.

    ReplyDelete