Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dodged a bullet

It's been raining for the last 24 hours.  Rain in and of itself is a good thing.  When you have to drive on the highway, however, it can become ugly.

New Jerseyans (is that a word?) are notorious for their driving.  It can be a bit frightening at times if you're not used to it.  This morning, I took the inlaws to the airport so they could head home.  On the way, we encountered an accident where someone skidded off the highway into the mud and on into the bushes.  Not a good way for one to start the day.

En route to coming home, with both kids in the back, we were chatting about something when it came time to take the 3 lane exit onto another highway.  Things were starting to back up so I slowed down.  Ahead were vehicles slamming into the guardrail, and behind me cars were spinning, trying to get into the shoulder.  In every direction there was damage- and I had to refrain from looking in the rearview mirror.  It was UGLY.  Everything came to a stand still and I just kept praying for protection. Miraculously, my car and the one or two in front of me- which weren't all but a few feet apart- were spared any damage.  In a quarter mile stretch- if not longer, there were at least 10 vehicles damaged.  The road would be blocked for quite a while.  We managed to make our way through the wreckage slowly, completely shocked by what just took place.

A doozy of a morning.  My life has been anything but normal these past few weeks.  I'm craving normal, need it.....desperately.  A life without hurricanes, and ditches, and highway accidents, would be just fine by this here housewife.  Any one else for mundane?

No comments:

Post a Comment