Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Thing 32

It's always a joy to find another thing to love about living here.  We're still "newbies" in my book, having lived here just under three years.  Making discoveries still happens fairly regularly, and I welcome them.

Thing 32 that I love about living here is that the Seeing Eye is only a stone's throw from us.  It's a  nationally known organization that exists to bring dignity and independence to the blind through the assignment of a Seeing Eye dog.

Yesterday, I began my stint as a volunteer at their headquarters.  Once we let Ester go, the puppy fix was needed.  By volunteering I could still be around pups and also learn a bit more about the running of the organization.  My "job" is far from glamourous, but it does allow me to be in the kennels.  Secretly I'm hoping to see our girl while she's there, but I think it might do me in, to be honest.

While waiting in the reception area yesterday I was able to chat with the receptionist, (who happens to be blind) about all things Seeing Eye.  She was kind enough to let me pet her black lab "O'Hara" which was a special treat, trust me.  This particular Monday happened to be the beginning of the new session, so students were checking in for their month long training.

When the first student came in with his wife, several of the instructors came to greet him, along with  the head of the Seeing Eye with his dog "Vegas" in harness.  For a few moments I was the fly on the wall, overhearing the conversation.  The gentleman was coming in for his first dog.  Between hearing that and watching Vegas in action, I was brought to tears.  What a privilege to finally see it all in action, lived out right in front of me.

As a puppy raiser, there's a tendency to have tunnel vision and only focus on the training of the dog.  Once they leave us, we're onto the next puppy or attempting to get back to normal.  We're not privy to the ENTIRE process of getting that puppy into the hands of the blind person.  All this time, talking and thinking about Ester becoming a Seeing Eye, it's been difficult to visualize the end product, not having seen it.

Sitting in that chair changed all that.  Everything came together for me.  These dogs change lives.  How totally selfish I've been in wanting her to come back to us, when she can go out and conquer the world for someone.  THAT'S what I want.  We don't need her, but they do.

We're blessed to be involved with such an amazing organization. Thing 32, you might just be my favorite reason for moving here.

1 comment:

  1. lotto999 Prayer For the period of 30/12/60

    เลขเด็ดจากวงใน Is a site where you can join the thrill of the novelty of online lottery. Standard and high security. Fast and easy. Easy transfer We do not have to wait more than 5 minutes because we have a well-trained team of professionals to provide 24/7 customer service. We have been in the business for over 5 years and have become famous in the circles of online lottery.
    And for today's news media, our inner circle. Come back to the lottery numbers from all over. All members have the opportunity to take risks. In this day, the number is decided by Phaya Tao Ngoi. December 30, 2560 is the number 7, number 9, subordinate 9 79 89 789 926 for any favorite to take the risk to see it. I do not like to go through it. I was rich in the lottery.
    However, for those who are interested to see the lottery statistics back and check the lottery can read more at the website. แทงหวยออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete